Item - 2021.TE27.88
- This item was considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on September 9, 2021 and was adopted without amendment. City Council has delegated authority for this matter to the Toronto and East York Community Council and therefore, the decision is final.
- See also By-law 734-2021
TE27.88 - Designate a School Crossing Guard and Parking Amendments at Millwood Road
- Decision Type:
- Schedule Type:
- 12 - Toronto - St. Paul's
Community Council Decision
The Toronto and East York Community Council:
1. Prohibited stopping at all times on the south side of Millwood Road, between a point 264.5 metres east of Yonge Street and a point 291.5 metres east of Yonge Street and on the north side of Millwood Road, between a point 270.5 metres east of Yonge Street and a point 297.5 metres east of Yonge Street.
2. Directed Transportation Services to install a painted pedestrian crossing, School Crossing signs, pedestrian ramps and remove the existing steel guardrail on the north side of the street on Millwood Road, at a point approximately 281 metres east of Yonge Street, effective immediately.
3. Directed Transportation Services to install a temporary school crossing guard while warrant analysis is being completed on Millwood Road, at a point approximately 281 metres east of Yonge Street, effective after completion of Recommendation 1 and 2 and start of school days. If warrant fails, the school crossing guard shall be removed once the installation of a pedestrian crossover (Recommendation 4) is completed.
4. Authorized the installation of a pedestrian crossover on Millwood Road, at a point approximately 281 metres east of Yonge Street.
I am writing to request your support in designating a school crossing guard at Millwood Road, adjacent to the Davisville Junior Public School and Spectrum Alternative School. My office has consulted widely with school officials, the TDSB, and the Davisville community, who all support this initiative to improve safety for kids.
There is a pedestrian walkway between Nos. 116 and 122 Millwood that links Millwood Road to Belsize Drive, which is heavily utilized by kids on their way to and from school. Traffic Operations staff are currently assessing the feasibility of installing a pedestrian crossover (PXO) at the location. Without a PXO in place yet, my motion is calling for immediate measures (a painted pedestrian crossing, school crossing signs, and pedestrian ramps) to facilitate the designation of a crossing guard for the start of school in the fall as studies continue towards the installation of a PXO.