Item - 2020.TE18.44
TE18.44 - Construction Staging Area - 2706-2730 Dundas Street West (Watkinson Avenue)
- Decision Type:
- Schedule Type:
- 4 - Parkdale - High Park
Community Council Decision
The Toronto and East York Community Council:
1. Authorized the closure of the east sidewalk on Watkinson Avenue, between Dundas Street West and a point 34 metres north, from September 17, 2020 to December 31, 2022.
2. Authorized the closure of a 2.1 metre wide portion of the northbound curb lane on Watkinson Avenue, between Dundas Street West and a point 34 metres north, from September 17, 2020 to December 31, 2022.
3. Rescinded the existing parking prohibition in effect at all times, on the northwest side of Watkinson Avenue, between Dundas Street West a point 40 metres north.
4. Prohibited stopping at all times on both sides of Watkinson Avenue, between Dundas Street West a point 40 metres north.
5. Directed the applicant to pressure wash the construction site and adjacent sidewalks and roadways weekly, or more frequently as needed to be cleared of any construction debris and made safe.
6. Directed the applicant to ensure that the existing sidewalks or the proposed pedestrian walkway have proper enhanced lighting to ensure safety and visibility at all times of the day and night.
7. Directed the applicant to clearly consult and communicate all construction, parking and road occupancy impacts with local business improvement areas and resident associations in advance of any physical road modifications.
8. Directed the applicant to install appropriate signage and converging mirrors to ensure that pedestrians, cyclists and motorists safety is considered at all times.
9. Directed the applicant to provide a sufficient number of traffic control persons as determined by the Work Zone Traffic Coordinator and Toronto Police Construction Liaison Officer, on a daily basis to control construction vehicle access and egress to and from the site and maintain a safe environment for the public.
10. Directed the applicant to provide a sufficient number of pay-duty Police Officers as determined by the Work Zone Traffic Coordinator and Toronto Police Construction Liaison Officer, during large scale concrete pours and large scale material deliveries to control vehicle access and egress to and from the site and maintain a safe environment for the public.
11. Directed the applicant to install cane detection within the covered and protected walkway to guide pedestrians who are visually impaired.
12. Directed the applicant to post a 24-hour monitored construction hotline number on the hoarding board, which must be prominently placed and legible from 20 metres and on all elevations from the construction site.
13. Directed the applicant to provide and install public art, including mural artwork, onto every elevation of the hoarding board with adequate spotlighting for night-time illumination, at their sole cost, to the satisfaction of the Ward Councillor.
14. Directed that Watkinson Avenue be returned to its pre-construction traffic and parking regulations when the project is complete.
This staff report is about a matter that Community Council has delegated authority to make a final decision provided that it is not amended so that it varies with City policy or by-laws.
2720 Dundas Junction Limited Partnership is constructing a nine-storey residential condominium building at 2706-2730 Dundas Street West. The site is located on the northeast corner of Dundas Street West and Watkinson Avenue.
Transportation Services is requesting authorization to close the sidewalk and a 2.1 metre wide portion of the northbound curb lane/parking lane on the east side of Watkinson Avenue north of Dundas Street West for a period of 22 months (i.e., September 17, 2020 to June 30, 2022) to accommodate a construction staging area.
Pedestrian movements on the east side of Watkinson Avenue abutting the site will be restricted and pedestrians will be directed to the west-side sidewalk of Watkinson Avenue. Traffic lanes for both directions on Watkinson Avenue and pedestrian operations on the west side of the street will be maintained in their current configuration.
The installation of the construction staging area will result in the loss of approximately two permit parking spaces on the east side of Watkinson Avenue abutting the site.
Pedestrian operations on the north side of Dundas Street West will be maintained in a 1.6 metres wide covered and protected walkway within the existing sidewalk.