Item - 2020.MM22.21
- City Council adopted this item on June 29, 2020 without amendments.
MM22.21 - Breaking the Log Jam: Addressing the Post-COVID-19 Committee of Adjustment Backlog and Creating Immediate and Real Jobs - by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong, seconded by Councillor Michael Thompson
- Decision Type:
City Council Decision
City Council on June 29 and 30, 2020, adopted the following:
1. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to consult with staff and Committee of Adjustment chairs immediately on a plan to clear the application backlog by the end of 2020; the plan, including financial impacts, should also identify steps in the application review process where backlogs occur, and identify measures to resolve them.
2. To support the clearing of the application backlog by the end of 2020, City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to report to City Council, through the Planning and Housing Committee in September 2020, on increasing the capacity of the Committee of Adjustment by:
a. increasing the staff complement for processing and/or reviewing applications; and
b. appointing additional Committee of Adjustment members in order to create either additional panels or expand existing panels, enabling them to meet more frequently.
3. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to identify and expedite the implementation of action items from the "End-to-End Review of the Development Review Process" that will have immediate and near-term impact in improving capacity for processing Committee of Adjustment applications.
4. City Council direct that Committee of Adjustment Chairs be invited to speak to the Planning and Housing Committee when the Chief Planner and Executive Director's report is before the Committee.
Background Information (City Council)
Motions (City Council)
Speaker Nunziata advised Council that the provisions of Chapter 27, Council Procedures, require that Motion MM22.21 be referred to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote of the Council Members present is required to waive referral.